Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Family History



A few months ago my mom mentioned that her family comes from Wales and she was excited we would be stopping in Wales.  I'm a bit ashamed to say that I put it out of my mind as we survived through the summer and prepared for this trip.  I would remember and put looking it up on my mental check list but it always came up after I was ready to be done for the day.  I justified myself by saying there was no way we would be anywhere near where my family was from.  


Well, I was wrong.  Just as we were preparing to leave Wales I found myself with some free time.  I pulled up family search and to find out just where my family was from.  I could have kicked myself.  We were not twenty miles from where my great-great-great grandfather, William Weal was born and died.  It felt good to have been in the area where my ancestors walked at one point or another.  

I really wish I had taken the time sooner to learn more about my Welsh roots.  We probably could have visited the church he attended and possibly with a bit more preparation found out more about he and his family, my family.  I will never look at the Welsh dragon again quite the same way!
Image result for welsh dragon

No comments: